A plant terrarium or bottled garden is a mini-ecosystem in a glass bottle or jar with a matching glass or cork seal. A plant terrarium is the perfect houseplant for dummies (read: people who cannot otherwise keep houseplants alive). Even if you don't have a green thumb and every other plant dies under your care, the plants in the plant terrarium will stay alive because of its self-sustaining system.
A mini-ecosystem is a unique item that contributes to the green spirit in your home or office. It fits the plant lover and urban jungle aesthetic perfectly. Moreover, your new friend is also very sustainable and an excellent sustainable alternative to the one-off fresh flowers that will last for 7 days with any luck. A bottled mini-ecosystem stays green for years and there are even examples that did so for 57 (!) years, a huge difference from a bouquet of fresh flowers or a houseplant.
It is very simple. You choose a plant terrarium of your choice from our shop, pay and we do the rest. After receiving our DIY terrarium kits, all you have to do is follow the 5-step plan and give your new green item a nice spot in your home or office. Your new friend likes a nice bright spot. It certainly doesn't like the outdoors, so put your new showpiece inside. The mini-ecosystem only needs water a few times a year because the water is reused via evaporation in the bottle. In other words, this plant in a glass jar keeps itself alive, how great is that! You hardly need to look at it, unless it is to admire its beauty, because our bottled gardens are beautiful.
You can't go very wrong with a plant terrarium. Is there a bit too much condensation in the bottle? Then open the cork a little until the drops have disappeared. Do the plants in the terrarium look a bit dry? Then it is time to add a little water.
At urbanjungl, you can choose from different shapes of bottles or pots, different sizes and different types of plants. Moreover, you can choose a ready-made mini-ecosystem or a DIY version. Prefer one with lighting or without? We have it all in our shop.
DIY plant terrarium kits with and without light
A green eyecatcher that puts itself in the spotlight
With a plant terrarium from urbanjngl, you get a real green eyecatcher in your home. Apart from the fact that plants in a glass pot look incredibly nice, are self-sufficient and sustainable, they are also fun to make yourself. With a DIY terrarium kit from urbanjgnl, you get everything you need to make your own plant terrarium. Browse our digital green jungle and enjoy your own mini-jungle in your home tomorrow.
Do It Yourself (DIY) terrarium pack
Lego, but green and for adults! A wonderfully durable building kit with everything you need to put together your own plant terrarium.
Order a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) terrarium kit from urbanjungl and put together your own plant terrarium. You will receive all the supplies and instructions to create a successful mini-ecosystem. Want to choose the plants yourself? No problem. Composing your own terrarium is, of course, also possible. Then add your own terrarium plants, DIY starter kit and a terrarium bottle of your choice to your shopping basket. Durable and fun to give as a gift or to keep for yourself.
A terrarium DIY kit comes with:
- Glass terrarium with or without cork
- Terrarium potting soil
- Activated carbon
- Substrate (hydro pellets)
- Terrarium plants
- Fresh green ball (cushion) mosses
- Terrarium care tips
- Step-by-step guide for DIY
- Optional: Terrarium tools
How do I make a plant terrarium? And how do I get started?
- Make sure the terrarium bottle is clean.
- Rinse the hydro pellets well and drain them. Once the pellets are clean, add them to the terrarium. Provide a ground-covering layer of pellets of about 2-3 cm. The hydro pellets serve as a buffer for excess water. Besides, it just looks nice too!
- Make a circle out of activated carbon in the middle of the layer of pellets. Activated carbon keeps plants and soil clean, among other things.
- Now add a thick layer of potting soil of about 5 cm. Tip: first place the potting soil in the middle of the bottle and then spread it around. This way you won't dirty the side of your terrarium bottle.
- Carefully remove the terrarium plants from the flower pots. Remove excess soil without damaging the roots of the plants.
- Arrange the plants in the potting soil in the desired manner. Tip: start with the smallest plant and finish with the largest. This way, you avoid damaging your terrarium plants.
- Finish your plant terrarium with a layer of moss or some more decorative stones. If desired, you can also opt for coloured gravel.
- Yay! Your plant terrarium is all ready and wow, it looks so beautiful! Give your mini-ecosystem a little water (25-50 ml) and leave the cap open for a while so your new friend can breathe a little more. After one week, you can close the cap.
Your new green friend likes a light spot, but don't put it in full sun. Sometimes it may leak a little and you can see this by condensation on the glass of the bottle. The best circumstances you can create is condensation that is visible in 1/ 4 of your bottle.
Still too much condensation? Then open the cap for a while until the thick water droplets have disappeared. The plants in it can also get thirsty a few times per year, so just give your plant terrarium some water.
Terrarium with light
Are you absolutely crazy about your plant terrarium, but sad that it is less visible at night? Then choose a terrarium with light. An illuminated plant terrarium brings extra atmosphere into your home as soon as night falls. The long-lasting LED lamp is strategically positioned in the opening of the bottle so that the light properly hits the plants. With an illuminated plant terrarium from urbanjngl in the interior of your office, business or living room, you will have a unique decorative item to show off.
A mini-ecosystem is a sustainable concept, and we want to keep it that way. With a hugely economical A++ LED bulb, you're also guaranteed a sustainable light source. The light in the terrarium can be controlled with a light switch.